[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1002: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1002: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
GET YOUR MONEY BACK! Misconduct and malpractice. Investment industry "best and worst practices". Information to improve public protection. Expert witness services for industry and investors. Forensic investment analysis. • View topic - fiduciary or not? a "Bait and Switch" game

fiduciary or not? a "Bait and Switch" game

Index of forum topics, talk to us.

Re: fiduciary: lets play it both ways

Postby admin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Here is what the big firms tell 80 to 90 year old clients who put their faith and trust in people who called themselves, "investment advisors"
20 legal Fiduciary_020.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 pm

26 Fiduciary Duty open client_027.jpg
here is a page from the Branch Manager course from the CSI

I don't think lawyers and courts should let investment firms skate away freely from the fiduciary word, when I look at the next few posts and documents.

They are simply playing the 800lb gorilla game, meaning they get to do whatever it is that they wish to. Call them on this game, take them to court and hold them accountable to their words, and their promises.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Here is illustration #1 which comes from the handbook about fiduciary duty:
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 pm

B Managers.jpg

The Canadian Securities Institute has BRANCH MANAGERS COURSE BOOK which includes some interesting comments on FIDUCIARY DUTY

Unfortunately the investment business does not follow these, and instead prefers to use the great "bait and switch" tactic of advertising and luring customers into a false sense of security using great promises of trust, professionalism, reliance, capability, and wealth management etc., etc. Then the industry uses the average clients trust and vulnerability to make the maximum commissions possible in about 80% to 90% of the cases as researched by industry sales stats of mutual fund class sales, wrap account sales, etc.
to be continued.........
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm

In a slight, but not too far deviation, for history sake, the following about the German Hyperinflation of the early 1900's:

characteristics of Weimer Germany are apparent in the United States. Parallel observations are sometimes less than they appear (e.g., in both cases, the people enjoyed eating meat), but are striking. The German incident happened over four years (also arbitrary. It can be argued that any year from 1914 to 1921 was the point of departure.)

Similarities to the U.S. have been in motion for 30 years or so. These include: (1) a high concentration of wealth among those who leverage, (2) the middle- and lower-classes falling behind, but not understanding or knowing it (or - knowing it but not allowing themselves to think about it), (3) the rise of a gambling culture, (4) including financial speculation on the stock exchange, which spread to all ranks of the population, (5) the blossoming of a financial industry, with quantity crushing quality (Weimer bank tellers became financial advisers since most people were at a loss, and would take any advice, which was often horrible, but probably well-intentioned)

read the whole thing at

http://www.aucontrarian.com/
admin
Site Admin

fiduciary or not? a "Bait and Switch" game

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:08 pm

A securities dealer may perform a variety of functions. First, in his most common role, the dealer is an intermediary. He buys and sells securities on behalf of his client, in accordance with the client's instructions. The dealer is in no way involved in the management of his client's portfolio and has no discretion regarding its content and [page650] the transactions to be carried out. In this situation, the client's account is sometimes referred to as "non-discretionary".

The above paragraph is from a court case called LAFLAMME v PRUDENTIAL-BACHE Co File No.: 26659 Supreme Court of Canada 1999: November 2 / 2000: May 3.

I print it to show how the courts (and the investment dealers) use this "antiquated" thinking to NEVER have to owe a duty of care to their customers. I know. I was a broker from 1984 until 2004. I watched the entire game change before my eyes.

In late 1987, or early 1988, after the great crash of Oct 1987, they took away our business cards that said "stockbroker" on them, and gave us new cards that said "investment advisor". Marketing felt that "stocks" were a dirty world, and that we would succeed bette with "advisor". And so off we went as "advisors". It was not until long after I was retired in 2004, that I ever learned that my license and registration category was always "salesperson", as was nearly every person in Canada calling themselves "advisor". Our industry is an 800 lb gorilla, in that we get to do "whatever we want", regardless of rules, codes, or nice words. We police ourselves, we are self regulating, we take the high moral ground by virtue of this, and we then can do immoral things with it for money. Nobody could stop us. Police stayed away, Courts deferred to our "self regulators". We were a force unto ourselves.
I was not on side with this "high moral ground" thing. I am just letting you know how it was.

this forum topic will try and condense down the aspects of fraudulently misrepresenting the role of investment product sellers in Canada, and how they have captured a place in the public minds of "trusted advisors". Further how we have misused this placement to abuse and cause financial violence to our customers, with seemingly no consequence to ourselves. Nice work if you can get it.
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Click here to view forums